Monday, July 18, 2016

When I'm 64

One week ago, I celebrated a rather modern, if not iconic, milestone. To mark said occasion, I bought myself something I never thought I would have, something I have longed to have, something that still makes me pinch myself when I think about it, so small a thing, but HUGE. Nope, not diamond earrings. Not a small Picasso. Not even a star named after myself, although it is something that, in some small way, makes me immortal.

I bought myself an ISBN, specifically, 978-1-5323-1237-3.

The journey to this moment was a long one. I have great rejection letters from the big boys back in the 90's telling me that while they loved the book, there was no place on their list for it. I thought I was writing lust-in-the-dust, they said I was writing nouveaux-feminist-action-adventure literature. I asked my agent what that meant, and she said, "Lust-in-the-dust with big words." Well, it's really a bit more than that. It's a good yarn and if you like action literature, this is it. Did I mention the title?


This is really exciting stuff. Okay. I think it's really exciting stuff. Apparently some people who shop Amazon do as well, because slowly but surely, the book is selling. I would like if it was selling faster, but hey, everyone has to start someplace. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch......

The GOP anointing is now in progress. Trump named Indiana governor Mike Pence as his running mate. And their campaign staff came up with a scathing brilliant logo that is destined to go down in logo-design history. What says "I Love America" more than Trump's T penetrating Pence's P? And the added bonus of TP: Make America Great Again? Never underestimate the importance of TP. Your life would be a living, not to mention messy and smelly hell without it. 

So I just watched a little of the Cleveclown Convention. So this great, star-studded cavalcade of Trump-ettes consists of Scott "Chachi" Baio, some soap opera guy Antonio something Italian, and a Duck Dynasty guy. You mean to tell me that in a country filled with would-be media whores you can't come up with Honey BooBoo Mama or a disgruntled Kardashian?  Whoa. Not to mention the GOP Clown Cavalcade that has declined to appear at all, including Mama and Papa Bush and all the little Bushes. Mitt Romney, John McCain (there's a surprise) and Ohio's governor and former candidate, John Kasich are all no shows. Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin have both disappeared from the speakers' list, so I'm guessing they're no shows. Of course, you know Omarosa has been hired as the Black Outreach coordinator. That's why the entire convention center is lily white.

Keep America Safe? From what? Trump's rhetoric is a nuclear attack waiting to happen. He will not soften his rant; he is divisive and hateful. And he has a whole lotta support. 

I listened to that Smith woman railing about Benghazi and decided the dog had to be walked. I couldn't go back to it. Every time I changed the channel to a convention station, I just wanted to barf. 

Trump says he's the best friend for women, LGBT, and blacks, but his running mate has signed the most restrictive, discriminatory, and yes, hateful laws we've seen since the days of segregation. No matter what Trump says, if he is elected, there will be attempted round-ups. New militia will appear, and with or without government sanction, they will take matters into their own hands. The intensity of the attacks on Hillary are harbingers. Keep that in mind, folks. The attacks are personal, they are studded with outright lies, and they are not-so-masked masked calls for violence. West Virginia's House of Delegates member Michael Folk tweeted: 
“@HillaryClinton You should be tried for treason, murder, and crimes against the US Constitution… then hung on the Mall in Washington, DC”

Not a terribly smart guy if he doesn't know horses are hung and people are hanged. But then again, how smart can he be? 

I don't say this lightly, but look at Munich in the 30s. You are seeing the slow formation of a new reich. Listening to Giuliani screeching about ONE AMERICA, all I could hear was a motto from long, long ago, from a galaxy not far enough away:  

Ein volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer.
One People, One Empire, One Leader 

And if that wasn't enough to frost the cake, Donald Trump's entrance was enough to make you just throw up in your Spotted Cow. 


I already hate We Are The Champions already, but now, I'll never be able to hear it without being physically ill and laughing at the same time.

When I was in high school chemistry class, I used to wonder if Earth was just part of a molecule that made up part of a giant lab table. I thought I was the only one who had that theory, but turns out someone else did, too. Theme and variation was the closing of MEN IN BLACK. 

Watching the convention tonight, I hoped we are nothing more consequential than a marble. Because if we are supposed to be sentient beings, folks, this is not it. We are on the verge of running a guy for POTUS who is not merely a narcissist, he is a liar, a cheat, a thief, and a fraud.  His so called platform will send us right back to the 19th century. If we live that long. 

I firmly believe Donald Trump is dangerous. He had made this election about him and his hyperbole. This election, according to all indications, is not about governance, nor is it about character and honor. This election has been reduced to rubble. And We, the People should be ashamed of ourselves. 


Wifely Person's Tip o'the Week
Buy DREAM DANCER, and keep this writer afloat. 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am planning on a most interesting, if not downright spectacular, year!

      Delete
  2. May you be heavily backlit for all your grand entrances.

    ReplyDelete